The fashion industry is one of the most adventurous, lucrative and a creative places which gives a new dimension to what we wear. As in any other profession, a fashion designer too has to have some qualities, which will distinguish him/her from the others and help in establishing oneself in the industry. Some of the qualities which are important for a fashion designer who would like to establish themselves in the fashion industry are:
1. Good communication – you must effectively be able to communicate with the various people who are involved in creating a garment which is designed by you.
2. Competition – there are many people in the market and you need to be competitive in creating a niche for yourself.
3. Creative – creativity is the base for a fashion designer. Coming up with newer ways to portray your ideas and thoughts is more important.
4. Drawing – being creative is the start while to move ahead you will need to be good at drawing as well. Only when you are able to put your thoughts and ideas in paper, will the others be able to understand what you mean and want.
5. Eye for materials – the textile market in India is so vast that you will be able to find a lot of different materials. Understanding the material and making it part of your work is important.
6. Sewing skills – not all the work will be done by others. You will need to know the basics to give shape to the garment.
7. Understanding the current trends – fashion industry is changing every day. What is in vogue today will not be so tomorrow.
8. Team player – being a fashion designer involves interacting with various people to give shape to the garment. One has to be a good team player to be able to get the work done.
A fashion designer too needs to have certain qualities which will help them carve a niche in the industry. With creativity and adventure being the main theme of the career, it is important for a person to have a few qualities and also a fair judgment of his/her works to succeed in this industry. Also, a fashion designer must be keen to create a new trend and be bold enough to do it. Ideas in the head are not going to reach people, unless it is being showcased by the person. Therefore, to strive at becoming one of the best, the designs must reach the people and be accepted by them as a trend changer.